Claremore HistoryIt’s interesting to know a few facts about the history of Claremore, Oklahoma, home of the Claremore Expo Center: it was around the year 1802 when the Osage Indians came here and settled. Since their chief’s name was hard to pronounce correctly for the French colonists, they called him Clairmont, but later, when the American name was transcribed it became Claremore by mistake and the new name caught on quickly.
During the Civil War the town area was pretty badly damaged but at the end of the war the recovery process was started and it went very well. The region was back on its feet in no time. Decades later, the town of Claremore became part of the Indian Territory, as a result of the Indian Removal Act. It belonged to the Cherokee nation.
One of the first families who settled in Claremore were the Rogers and the county is named after them. Clem Rogers was Will Rogers’ father . Their family ranch and the farm are important attractions for tourists who come to the area. The ranch has more than 243 square km. Clem Rogers sustained the Oklahoma statehood and he was also a delegate to the Constitutional Convention in 1907. He was then 69 years old.
Not many people know that the first hospital in the city was built in the early 1900s and that in 1907 Oklahoma became a distinct state. The way the town got its name was that the clerk at the post office who recorded the town back in 1882 misspelled the name so it remained Claremore. The original name came from French, as mentioned above. In 1883, the city was incorporated by the Cherokee Nation.
Another little known fact is that at one point Claremore was known as “Radium Town” because back in 1903, George Eaton , the owner of an oil company had his men drilling in the area and struck an underground water reservoir filled with sulfur. A local doctor declared that the water had healing properties and started marketing it.
© 2001-2011 claremoreexpo.com All Rights Reserved.